Who we are?
Founded in 1966, Self-Help for the Elderly is a community-based organization committed to promoting the independence, dignity, and self-worth of seniors. Each year the agency serves over 40,000 seniors in San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Alameda Counties by providing a comprehensive range of multicultural and multilingual services to empower seniors to help themselves and others. Our vision is to be the premier provider of senior services in the San Francisco Bay Area with a commitment to excellence and achievement. Over 90% of our clients come from low-income minority community.
What we do?
We currently have nine service departments specializing in Adult Day Services, Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program, licensed HomeCare & Hospice, Nutrition & Senior Centers, Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly, Senior Employment & Training, Senior Housing, Social Services and Technology Information & Empowerment.
At Self-Help, we are firmly committed to the senior’s security, freedom, and peace of mind. If you enjoy working with seniors… if you believe in giving back to the community… if helping others makes you happy… come join us in making a difference together!
Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer
Self-Help for the Elderly is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmation Action Employer and we welcome diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law. We participate in E-Verify.
San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance
Qualified applicants with criminal history will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Americans with Disabilities Act
We may provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please email us at email@example.com or call (415) 677-7600 for special assistance.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including a multiple range of medical and dental plans, commuter benefits, flexible benefits plan, retirement plan, paid time off, paid holiday, and etc.
We are seeking the following positions:
- Responsible for conducting trainings and workshops for seniors to learn to use computers and the Internet, and answers computer and technology related questions. Prepares and maintains lab area, equipment, and materials for trainings and workshops; operates and maintains audiovisual equipment; and maintains computers in the lab. Assists students with the use of hardware and software, and maintains training and workshop schedules and attendance records.
- Minimum Requirements: High school diploma; teaching and/or training experience preferred, current working knowledge of PC computer technology/equipment, smartphones, tablet computers, MS Office software applications, internet, online communication and social media platforms, excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work with older adults as well as individuals from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds, ability to effectively instruct senior learners on basic computer use and online programs using PC platforms. Must be bilingual in English and Chinese (Cantonese or Mandarin); biliterateracy in Chinese is a plus.
Adult Day Services - ADS
- Under the direction and supervision of the Nursing Supervisor, provide direct nursing care and to maximize the comfort and health of Adult Day Services participants.
- Minimum qualifications: Current valid California LVN License. Previous nursing experience working with the elderly or the chronically ill, or experience in home health, public health, or acute care preferred. Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Cantonese.
- Responsible for providing counseling, consultation and training to staff and participants.
- Minimum qualifications: Must be a licensed psychiatrist, clinical psychologist, psychiatric licensed clinical social worker (LCSW), or psychiatric nurse (i.e., a registered nurse with a graduate degree in psychiatric nursing and one year of psychiatric nursing experience within the past five years, or a registered nurse with a baccalaureate degree in nursing and three years of psychiatric nursing experience in an acute psychiatric setting or a psychiatric health facility, one year of which should have been within the past five years).
Employment Training & Economic Development
- Responsible for assisting in recruitment, assessment, case management, vocational training, on-the-job training, job coaching, job placement and retention of older workers in the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) in Alameda County.
- Minimum Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in social work, counseling, education or a related field or high school graduate with at least two years of relevant work experience, and previous work experience in business, employment training, government-funded workforce development programs, customer service, or education preferred; previous work experience in hospitality and/or health care industry a plus.
- Responsible for processing and reviewing Housing Subsidies Program, assist in the monthly program billing, counting cash collections, making deposits and posting transactions accurately and completely.
- Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or a related field with at least two years of experience in accounting and financial statement preparation, and experience in government contracting and funder accounting processes preferred.
- Responsible for providing administrative assistance in the daily operations of the Fund Development Department, preparing donor acknowledgement letters, and cultivating and managing volunteers.
- Minimum Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in communications or related fields preferred, college education with experience in related fields may be substituted, experience in events coordination and supervising volunteers, and excellent in MS Office suite.
- Responsible for answering phones and scheduling client appointments, financial record-keeping, equipment inventory, data entry, and performs other program and clerical duties for San Mateo HICAP.
- Minimum Qualifications: High school graduate with one year of experience working in an office setting. Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills. Bilingual in English and Chinese/Spanish preferred.
HomeCare and Hospice
- Responsible for providing administrative support to the department. Answers phone calls from referrers, doctors’ offices, insurance payors, patients and clinical staff. Facilitates assistance and support, assists Intake Coordinator by checking patient's insurance eligibility and obtaining authorizations from the insurance payor, and enters intake referrals.
- Minimum Qualifications: Prefer college degree with at least one year of medical office experience; or high school graduate with at least two years of medical office experience. Knowledge of medical terminology strongly preferred, and knowledge of home health care and hospice systems and procedures preferred. Bilingual in English and Chinese preferred.
- Assesses social and psychological needs of patients/families, and develops plan of care to assist patients and families/caregivers to cope with the social and emotional issues and practical arrangements related to the patient’s illness. (It is currently anticipated that approximately 80% of time will be spent in HomeCare and 20% in Hospice.)
- Minimum Qualifications: Master of Social Work degree from a school of social work accredited or approved by the Council on Social Work Education. Coursework in oncology, death and dying, and grief counseling preferred. Minimum one year of social work experience in a healthcare setting. Home Health or Hospice experience a plus.
- Responsible for planning, coordinating, and managing all volunteer program activities in the department.
- College degree, advanced degree in human services preferred, a minimum of two (2) years experience in a health care setting, and hospice and/or volunteer experience preferred. Ability to organize and develop volunteer hospice personnel for both patient and department needs and understand hospice philosophy.
- Performs the nursing care plan as directed by the Registered Nurse to maximize the comfort and health of Home Care patients and families.
- Minimum Qualifications: Current California Licensed Vocational Nurse and at least one year professional nursing experience in home health, hospice, acute or sub-acute preferred. Bilingual in English and Cantonese preferred. Mandarin & Toishanese a plus.
- The speech–language pathologist, contracted or employed, is responsible for implementation of standards of care for speech language pathology services and for adherence to all conditions in the Service Agreement.
- Minimum Qualifications: Possesses a degree that includes an internship from an approved Master program in Speech- Language Pathology, or as required by applicable law and/or regulation. Meets personnel qualifications stated in §418.114(b)(4). A minimum of one year clinical experience in Speech–Language Pathology.
- Provides skilled nursing assessment, planning and care in order to maximize the comfort and health of Hospice patients and families.
- Must be currently licensed by the CA Board of Registered Nurses. Preferred minimum one year professional nursing experience in home health, hospice, acute or sub-acute care. Experience with oncology or hospice preferred.
- Responsible for managing all aspects of the department’s marketing including managing the members of the marketing team, establishing and maintaining positive relationships with customers and referral sources, responding to customer requests and concerns, and negotiating service contracts with managed care organizations, government agencies, and other payers.
- Minimum qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Business Administration, or related field, Master's degree preferred, with at least three (3) years experience in healthcare marketing management preferably in hospice care operations. Must have knowledge of corporate business management and the ability to market aggressively and deal tactfully with customers and the community.
- Responsible for collaborating with senior management team to establish strategic HR vision for the agency, developing achievable and measurable department goals, managing the HR department’s strategic, operational and budget planning processes, ensuring appropriate resources and staffing is available across areas of accountability to meet agency present and future needs. Drives initiatives and provides effective HR & administration solutions, and oversees Human Resources and Office Management departments with leadership, development and overall direction.
- Minimum Qualifications: Must have a bachelor’s degree in Public or Business Administration, Human Resources, Communication or related field, at least 10 years of progressively professional HR management (recruitment and selection, compensation and benefits, performance management, training and employee development, succession planning) and office administration experience, the ability to cultivate strong relationship with leadership team, and excellent influence management, negotiation, leadership and team-building skills.
- Responsible for recruitment needs such as; posting open positions, processing applications, tracking and screening resumes, scheduling interviews, checking references, coordinating pre-employment screening and conducting background checks.
- Minimum Qualifications: Must have at least two years of administrative experience, demonstrate basic understanding and knowledge of HR operations and legal issues, be bilingual and biliterate in English and Cantonese, Mandarin is a plus. HR administrative experience with recruitment, payroll, benefits administration, HRIS and general HR support is a plus. Experience with ADP HR Benefits strongly preferred.
Nutrition San Francisco
- Responsible for assisting in the planning, promotion and implementation of educational, health and recreational activities at various centers. Provides information, referrals and translation regarding health, welfare and other resources for program participants and the public. Promotes meal services by conducting outreach to community-based organizations, groups and individuals, and schedules and makes presentations to various target groups. Conducts client intakes; organizes and keeps service records and data as required; and prepares monthly service reports; documenting services according to program protocol; submits monthly service logs and reports as needed.
- Minimum Requirements: College degree with two years of experience in community service, possess strong self-motivation and ability to work with elderly people of all socioeconomic backgrounds; experience in working with seniors strongly preferred, demonstrate good communication and interpersonal skills. Must be bilingual and biliterate in English and Chinese (Cantonese/Mandarin), proficient in Microsoft Office and the internet, able to work weekends, able to lift and/or carry 35 lbs and pass a strength test for physical fitness and a health screening for TB clearance.
- Picks up and delivers meals to meal sites; packages home-delivered meals at meal site(s) and delivers meals to clients on foot, by bus or by car.
- Minimum Qualifications: Must have at least two years of work experience. High school graduate preferred, and experience working with the elderly and/or food service is also preferred. Must have interest to work with seniors and adults with disabilities and be willing and able to climb stairs to the homes of clients.
- Responsible for the development, implementation and coordination of the Community Service Program Pilot.
- Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in a Human Services field, or college education with a minimum of two years of work experience in implementing programs in a non-profit setting. Must possess strong self-motivation and ability to work with elderly people of all socioeconomic backgrounds; experience in working with seniors strongly preferred. Must pass a strength test for physical fitness for the job (able to lift and/or carry 35 lbs) and be able to travel via public transportation or personal vehicle for performance of job duties.
- Responsible to package meals, deliver meals to homebound elderly, and perform other duties at the senior centers.
- Minimum Qualifications: Minimum one year of experience in community and food service. Must be bilingual in English & Cantonese.
- Transports program participants.
- Minimum Qualifications: At least two years of work experience required. Experience working with the elderly preferred. Must have and maintain a valid CA Commercial Class B driver license. Minimum of two years of driving experience with satisfactory driving record.
- Responsible for the overall planning, development and coordination of activities and fundraising events, and the supervision of Program Assistants and volunteers.
- Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Recreation, Liberal Arts or a Human Services field; or college education with a minimum of three years of work experience in implementing social, recreational or educational activities with older adults. Must be bilingual and bi-literate in English and Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin).
Nutrition San Mateo
- Assists in planning and implementing program activities and performs other duties at the center; and assists congregate meal program and/or deliver meals for the home-delivered meals program.
- Minimum Requirements: Assists clients in accessing needed services and advocates on their behalf (e.g. by contacting agencies on behalf of clients, filling out forms, writing letters, or making phone calls to set up or confirm appointments). Documents services according to program protocol and follows-up with clients and/or agencies to ensure that needed services were received by clients; submits monthly service logs and reports as needed.
- Responsible for providing telephone customer service support and answers inquiries regarding utility information and services.
- Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree; or High school graduate with minimum of two years of customer service experience, and knowledge of California Public Utility bills and services.
- Responsible for assisting the Emergency Short-Term in Home Care Program and Housing Services Program, and performing office duties for the department.
- Minimum Qualifications: A high school graduate with relevant housing experience. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Must be bilingual in English and Cantonese. Biliterate in English and Chinese a plus.
To apply: Please click on the job title to complete an online application.
For more information: Contact Human Resources Department at HR@selfhelpelderly.org.
GET IN TOUCH