Who we are?
Founded in 1966, Self-Help for the Elderly is a community-based organization committed to promoting the independence, dignity, and self-worth of seniors. Each year the agency serves over 35,000 seniors in San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Alameda Counties by providing a comprehensive range of multicultural and multilingual services to empower seniors to help themselves and others. Our vision is to be the premier provider of senior services in the San Francisco Bay Area with a commitment to excellence and achievement. Over 90% of our clients come from low-income minority community.
What we do?
We currently have nine service departments specializing in Adult Day Services, Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program, licensed HomeCare & Hospice, Nutrition & Senior Centers, Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly, Senior Employment & Training, Senior Housing, Social Services and Technology Information & Empowerment.
At Self-Help, we are firmly committed to the senior’s security, freedom, and peace of mind. If you enjoy working with seniors… if you believe in giving back to the community… if helping others makes you happy… come join us in making a difference together!
Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer
Self-Help for the Elderly is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmation Action Employer and we welcome diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law. We participate in E-Verify.
San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance
Qualified applicants with criminal history will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Americans with Disabilities Act
We may provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (415) 677-7600 for special assistance.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including a multiple range of medical and dental plans, commuter benefits, flexible benefits plan, retirement plan, paid time off, paid holiday, and etc.
We are seeking the following positions:
Adult Day Services - ADS
- Under the direction and supervision of the Nursing Supervisor, provide direct nursing care and to maximize the comfort and health of Adult Day Services participants.
- Minimum qualifications: Current valid California LVN License. Previous nursing experience working with the elderly or the chronically ill, or experience in home health, public health, or acute care preferred. Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Cantonese.
- Responsible for providing counseling, consultation and training to staff and participants.
- Minimum qualifications: Must be a licensed psychiatrist, clinical psychologist, psychiatric licensed clinical social worker (LCSW), or psychiatric nurse (i.e., a registered nurse with a graduate degree in psychiatric nursing and one year of psychiatric nursing experience within the past five years, or a registered nurse with a baccalaureate degree in nursing and three years of psychiatric nursing experience in an acute psychiatric setting or a psychiatric health facility, one year of which should have been within the past five years).
- Provides skilled nursing assessment, planning and care in order to maximize the comfort and health of Adult Day Services participants.
- Minimum qualifications: Current California Licensed Registered Nurse. Previous nursing experience working with the elderly or the chronically ill, or experience in home health, public health, or acute care preferred. Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work well in a multidisciplinary team. Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Cantonese.
Employment Training & Economic Development
- Responsible for providing employment counseling, case management, WIA eligibility determination, certification and assessment, training, placement, and retention services to Neighborhood Access Point (NAP) participants.
- Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in social work, counseling, education or a related field or high school graduate with at least two years of relevant work experience.
- Recruits, trains, supervises and evaluates program staff; develops and implements a marketing and business development plan and department budget; and manages day-to-day program operations with an emphasis on business development.
- Creates marketing and business plans to achieve annual minimum revenue and profitability growth in the high single digits for ETED. Works with Senior Management to generate profitable businesses and improve operational efficiency for ETED.
HICAP - San Mateo
- Answers phone calls, coordinates counseling appointments, and performs other clerical duties for San Mateo HICAP.
- Minimum qualifications: High school graduate with one year of experience working in an office setting. Must complete HICAP counselor registration within 3 months of employment.
HomeCare and Hospice
- Responsible for planning, developing and directing the programs, services, activities and employees of the agency. Accountable for the agency’s revenue and profit performance, adherence to company policies and processes, and compliance with State and Federal regulations. Responsible for continual growth and profitability of the agency.
- Minimum qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in health service administration, business administration, public administration, nursing or related field is preferred. Three to five years of experience in home health and/or hospice, including at least two years of supervisory/management experience. Experience in business development strongly preferred.
- Provide spiritual care services to patients and their families, and hospice caregivers and staff, either directly or through coordination of care with other spiritual counselors. Develop and implement the bereavement plan of care.
- Minimum qualifications: Graduate of accredited seminary or school of theology (BD, MDiv or equivalent theological degree), or degree in pastoral care. Comfortable in an interfaith setting and able to accept different lifestyles, beliefs and values. Bilingual in English and Chinese.
- Responsible for providing medical diagnoses and palliative care to Hospice patients. Reviews patients’ medical eligibility for hospice services and establishes plan of care in collaboration with clinical staff and patients’ families.
- Minimum qualifications: Licensed as a Doctor of Medicine or Osteopathy in California. Prefer one year experience in hospice and palliative care and/or training in end of life care. Proven ability to work within an interdisciplinary setting.
- Assesses social and psychological needs of patients/families, and develops plan of care to assist patients and families/caregivers to cope with the social and emotional issues and practical arrangements related to the patient’s illness. (It is currently anticipated that approximately 80% of time will be spent in HomeCare and 20% in Hospice.)
- Minimum qualifications: Master of Social Work degree from a school of social work accredited or approved by the Council on Social Work Education. Coursework in oncology, death and dying, and grief counseling preferred. Minimum one year of social work experience in a healthcare setting. Home Health or Hospice experience a plus.
- Provides skilled nursing assessment, planning and care in order to maximize the comfort and health of Hospice patients and families.
- Minimum qualifications: Must be currently licensed by the CA Board of Registered Nurses. Prefer minimum one year professional nursing experience in home health, hospice, acute or sub-acute care. Experience with oncology or hospice preferred.
- Receives and evaluates inquiries for services from referrers, including assessment that patient’s needs can be safely addressed in the home, and that the patient qualifies for the service. Coordinates clinical staff schedules. Acts as point of contact with referrer until patient is assigned to a staff member. Prepares referral tracking and management reports monthly, or as requested.
- Minimum qualifications: Must be currently licensed by the CA board of Registered Nurses. Prefer one year prior professional nursing experience. Home health and/or hospice experience a plus.
- Provides skilled nursing assessment, planning and care in order to maximize the comfort and health of hospice patients and families.
- Minimum qualifications: Current California Licensed Registered Nurse. Minimum of one year prior professional nursing experience in home health, hospice, acute or subacute. Bilingual in Cantonese & English required.
Nutrition San Francisco
- Responsible for the overall planning, development and coordination of activities and fundraising events, and the supervision of Program Assistants and volunteers.
- Minimum qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Recreation, Liberal Arts or a Human Services field; or college education with a minimum of three years of work experience in implementing social, recreational or educational activities with older adults.
- Manages the daily operation of activities and services at a senior center.
- Minimum Qualifications: College degree preferred or high school graduated with at least three years work experience in community services.
- Delivers meals to congregate meal sites and home delivery program participants.
- Minimum Qualifications: High school graduate with at least two years of work experience required. Must have and maintain a valid CA driver license. Minimum of two years of driving experience with satisfactory driving record. Bilingual in English and Chinese.
- Responsible to package meals, deliver meals to homebound elderly, and perform other duties at the senior centers.
- Minimum Qualifications: Minimum one year of experience in community and food service. Must be bilingual in English & Cantonese.
To apply: Please click on the job title to complete an online application.
For more information: Contact Human Resources Department at HR@selfhelpelderly.org.
GET IN TOUCH