Who we are?
Founded in 1966, Self-Help for the Elderly is a community-based organization committed to promoting the independence, dignity, and self-worth of seniors. Each year the agency serves over 40,000 seniors in San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Alameda Counties by providing a comprehensive range of multicultural and multilingual services to empower seniors to help themselves and others. Our vision is to be the premier provider of senior services in the San Francisco Bay Area with a commitment to excellence and achievement. Over 90% of our clients come from low-income minority community.
What we do?
We currently have nine service departments specializing in Adult Day Services, Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program, licensed HomeCare & Hospice, Nutrition & Senior Centers, Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly, Senior Employment & Training, Senior Housing, Social Services and Technology Information & Empowerment.
At Self-Help, we are firmly committed to the senior’s security, freedom, and peace of mind. If you enjoy working with seniors… if you believe in giving back to the community… if helping others makes you happy… come join us in making a difference together!
Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer
Self-Help for the Elderly is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmation Action Employer and we welcome diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law. We participate in E-Verify.
San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance
Qualified applicants with criminal history will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Americans with Disabilities Act
We may provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (415) 677-7600 for special assistance.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including a multiple range of medical and dental plans, commuter benefits, flexible benefits plan, retirement plan, paid time off, paid holiday, and etc.
We are seeking the following positions:
- Responsible for front desk duties including managing the multi-extension phone operating system, greeting and assisting visitors, distributing mail, ordering supplies and providing other clerical support.
- Minimum Requirements: High school graduate with a minimum of three years of related experience. Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures. Must have the ability to operate office equipments including multi-extension telephone system, copier, fax machine, postage machine, and calculators. Must be bilingual and biliterate in English and Cantonese.
- Responsible for assisting in the day-to-day operation of the office including front office management, facility and equipment maintenance, supplies procurement and administrative support.
- Minimum Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration; or an associate degree in office or administrative support and a minimum of two years of related experience. Must be bilingual and biliterate in English and Cantonese, and have good English business writing skills.
- Responsible for conducting trainings and workshops for seniors to learn to use computers and the Internet, and answers computer and technology related questions. Prepares and maintains lab area, equipment, and materials for trainings and workshops; operates and maintains audiovisual equipment; and maintains computers in the lab. Assists students with the use of hardware and software, and maintains training and workshop schedules and attendance records.
- Minimum Requirements: High school diploma; teaching and/or training experience preferred, current working knowledge of PC computer technology/equipment, smartphones, tablet computers, MS Office software applications, internet, online communication and social media platforms, excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work with older adults as well as individuals from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds, ability to effectively instruct senior learners on basic computer use and online programs using PC platforms. Must be bilingual in English and Chinese (Cantonese or Mandarin); biliterateracy in Chinese is a plus.
Adult Day Services - ADS
- Responsible for the activity program of the Adult Day Services Center, developing and implementing individualized activity plans, and providing Person Centered Care activities for participants.
- Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in human services field and two years of experience in a social, recreational or educational program within the past five years (one year must be full-time employment in an activities program in a health care, mental health or handicapped program setting) OR be an occupational therapist, art therapist, music therapist, dance therapist, recreation therapist, occupational therapy assistant or qualified social worker OR; completed at least 36 hours of training in a course designed specifically for this position and approved by the California Department of Aging and shall receive regular consultation from one of the professionals as listed under #2. Must be bilingual and biliterate in English and Cantonese.
- Responsible for coordinating the Adult Day Services processes and for all participant-care related clerical procedures, coordination of services and processes. Facilitates communication between participant/families and other team members. Provides oversight between professional staff, transportation, activities, program and rehab aides.
- Minimum Qualifications: Certified Nursing Assistant, high school graduate, preferably an associate degree, and at least three years’ experience in healthcare office administration and care coordination.
- Responsible for providing personal care services, conducting group activities, and preparing and distributing meals to Adult Day Services participants.
- Minimum Qualifications: Experience in providing personal care to frail or disabled adults and/or experience in working with older adults with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia, food service experience and previous experience working in a day care program preferred. California Home Health Aide certificate or Certified Nursing Assistant certificate highly preferred.
- Responsible for providing skilled nursing assessment, planning and care in order to maximize the comfort and health of Adult Day Services participants, conducting initial, quarterly, and 6-month nursing assessments of participants, and developing and implementing nursing care plans.
- Minimum Qualifications: Must be a current California Licensed Registered Nurse. Previous nursing experience working with the elderly or the chronically ill, or experience in home health, public health, or acute care is preferred.
- Under the direction and supervision of the Nursing Supervisor, provide direct nursing care and to maximize the comfort and health of Adult Day Services participants.
- Minimum qualifications: Current valid California LVN License. Previous nursing experience working with the elderly or the chronically ill, or experience in home health, public health, or acute care preferred. Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Cantonese.
- Responsible for providing counseling, consultation and training to staff and participants.
- Minimum qualifications: Must be a licensed psychiatrist, clinical psychologist, psychiatric licensed clinical social worker (LCSW), or psychiatric nurse (i.e., a registered nurse with a graduate degree in psychiatric nursing and one year of psychiatric nursing experience within the past five years, or a registered nurse with a baccalaureate degree in nursing and three years of psychiatric nursing experience in an acute psychiatric setting or a psychiatric health facility, one year of which should have been within the past five years).
Employment Training & Economic Development
- Responsible for assisting with the recruitment, assessment, case management, on-the-job training, job coaching, job placement and retention of older workers in the San Francisco, San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties in the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP).
- Minimum Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in business, hospitality, health care, education, counseling, social work, or a related field or High school graduate with at least two years of experience in a similar role. Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and be bilingual and biliterate in English and Cantonese, with Mandarin or Taishanese or Vietnamese a plus.
- Responsible for ensuring the safety of staff and clients at designated location. Maintain a safe and secure environment for staff and clients by patrolling the Chinatown Neighborhood Access Point (CNAP), Portsmouth Square Clubhouse and other designated location as needed. Maintain accurate and detailed sign-in and attendance sheet for program participants
- Minimum Requirements: Must possess and maintain valid State of California Guard Card, and must be a high school graduate with at least one years of relevant work experience. Previous work experience with diverse population and non-profits organization is strongly preferred.
- Responsible for planning, development and implementation of the Greater Chinatown Corridor Project; develops, coordinates, and implements activities, meetings, and special events. Also responsible for acting as point person between City and Chinatown community representatives.
- Minimum Requirements: Must have a bachelor’s degree in public or business administration, marketing, public relations, social work, urban planning, human resources or a related field. Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be bilingual and biliterate in English and Chinese.
- Responsible for recruitment, assessment, case management, vocational training, on-the-job training, job coaching, job placement and retention of older workers in the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) in San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Alameda Counties.
- Minimum Requirements: Bachelor's degree in social work, health, counseling, psychology, gerontology, or a related field; and one year of experience in providing case management, social services and/or activity coordination for seniors. Must have and maintain valid CA driver license, satisfactory driving record, and auto insurance coverage as specified in Self-Help’s policy.
- Responsible for providing administrative assistance in the daily operations of the Fund Development Department, preparing donor acknowledgement letters, and cultivating and managing volunteers.
- Minimum Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in communications or related fields preferred, college education with experience in related fields may be substituted, experience in events coordination and supervising volunteers, and excellent in MS Office suite.
HomeCare and Hospice
- Responsible for assuring the development, implementation, and updates of the individualized plan of care, which would entail communication with all physicians involved in the plan of care and integration of orders from all physicians involved in the plan of care including those orders related to medications.
- Minimum Qualifications: Must be a registered nurse with current licensure to practice professional nursing in the state.
- Responsible for the monitoring, implementation and evaluation of process and programs to meet regulatory, accreditation and standards of practice. Ensures that there are processes in place to monitor and measure all activities related to the quality assessment performance improvement (QAPI) program.
- Minimum Qualifications: Must be a registered nurse with current licensure to practice professional nursing in the State, have a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing, preferably from an accredited program by the National League for Nursing. Must have 3-5 year's clinical nursing experience.
- Responsible for accepting and evaluating inquiries for services from referrers, including assessment that patient’s needs can be safely addressed in the home, and that the patient qualifies for the service, and coordinating clinical staff schedules.
- Minimum Qualifications: Medical knowledge including the ability to recognize medical and social risk factors, and knowledge of chronic disease conditions and common treatment options. Current California Licensed Registered Nurse with one year prior professional nursing experience is preferred.
- Responsible for providing skilled nursing assessment, planning and care in order to maximize the comfort and health of Hospice patients and families. Assesses and identifies patient and/or family needs and provides appropriate physical and emotional support in accordance with physician’s orders and plan of care. Responsible for developing, evaluating, and revising patient’s individualized plan of care in collaboration with Hospice and Palliative Medicine Physician and Director of Patient Care Services, and other members of the Interdisciplinary Group and patient’s primary care physician.
- Minimum Qualifications: Must be currently licensed by the CA Board of Registered Nurses and bilingual in English and Cantonese, with Mandarin & Taishanese as a plus. Must be able to cope with patient and family emotional stress and be tolerant of individual lifestyles without judgment and currently CPR certified.
- Responsible for providing administrative support to the department. Answers phone calls from referrers, doctors’ offices, insurance payors, patients and clinical staff. Facilitates assistance and support, assists Intake Coordinator by checking patient's insurance eligibility and obtaining authorizations from the insurance payor, and enters intake referrals.
- Minimum Qualifications: Prefer college degree with at least one year of medical office experience; or high school graduate with at least two years of medical office experience. Knowledge of medical terminology strongly preferred, and knowledge of home health care and hospice systems and procedures preferred. Bilingual in English and Chinese preferred.
- Responsible for planning, coordinating, and managing all volunteer program activities in the department.
- College degree, advanced degree in human services preferred, a minimum of two (2) years experience in a health care setting, and hospice and/or volunteer experience preferred. Ability to organize and develop volunteer hospice personnel for both patient and department needs and understand hospice philosophy.
- Performs the nursing care plan as directed by the Registered Nurse to maximize the comfort and health of Home Care patients and families.
- Minimum Qualifications: Current California Licensed Vocational Nurse and at least one year professional nursing experience in home health, hospice, acute or sub-acute preferred. Bilingual in English and Cantonese preferred. Mandarin & Toishanese a plus.
- The speech–language pathologist, contracted or employed, is responsible for implementation of standards of care for speech language pathology services and for adherence to all conditions in the Service Agreement.
- Minimum Qualifications: Possesses a degree that includes an internship from an approved Master program in Speech- Language Pathology, or as required by applicable law and/or regulation. Meets personnel qualifications stated in §418.114(b)(4). A minimum of one year clinical experience in Speech–Language Pathology.
- Provides skilled nursing assessment, planning and care in order to maximize the comfort and health of Hospice patients and families.
- Must be currently licensed by the CA Board of Registered Nurses. Preferred minimum one year professional nursing experience in home health, hospice, acute or sub-acute care. Experience with oncology or hospice preferred.
- Responsible for overseeing day-to-day operations of the HR department, reviewing and improving workflow process, personnel policy planning, development and interpretation, application and compliance of regulatory requirements. Responsible for the development of talent acquisition strategy. Provides recommendations to improve hiring effectiveness based on industry recruiting best practices and trends.
- Minimum Qualifications: Must have a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, Psychology or a related field. A master’s degree is preferred. Must have minimum of four years of progressive experience in HR, hands-on experience in various functions, including staffing and employment, compensation and benefits, employee relations, performance management, and HRIS.
- Responsible for assisting with the daily operation of all Human Resources functions and providing general administrative support to the HR Department: assisting with posting open positions, processing applications, tracking and screening resumes, scheduling interviews, checking references, coordinating pre-employment screening and conducting background checks.
- Minimum Qualifications: Must have at least two year of administrative experience. HR administrative experience with recruitment, payroll, benefits administration, HRIS and general HR support is a plus.
- Responsible for collaborating with senior management team to establish strategic HR vision for the agency, developing achievable and measurable department goals, managing the HR department’s strategic, operational and budget planning processes, ensuring appropriate resources and staffing is available across areas of accountability to meet agency present and future needs. Drives initiatives and provides effective HR & administration solutions, and oversees Human Resources and Office Management departments with leadership, development and overall direction.
- Minimum Qualifications: Must have a bachelor’s degree in Public or Business Administration, Human Resources, Communication or related field, at least 10 years of progressively professional HR management (recruitment and selection, compensation and benefits, performance management, training and employee development, succession planning) and office administration experience, the ability to cultivate strong relationship with leadership team, and excellent influence management, negotiation, leadership and team-building skills.
Nutrition San Francisco
- Picks up and delivers meals to meal sites; packages home-delivered meals at meal site(s) and delivers meals to clients on foot, by bus or by car.
- Minimum Qualifications: Must have at least two years of work experience. High school graduate preferred, and experience working with the elderly and/or food service is also preferred. Must have interest to work with seniors and adults with disabilities and be willing and able to climb stairs to the homes of clients.
- Responsible for the development, implementation and coordination of the Community Service Program Pilot.
- Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in a Human Services field, or college education with a minimum of two years of work experience in implementing programs in a non-profit setting. Must possess strong self-motivation and ability to work with elderly people of all socioeconomic backgrounds; experience in working with seniors strongly preferred. Must pass a strength test for physical fitness for the job (able to lift and/or carry 35 lbs) and be able to travel via public transportation or personal vehicle for performance of job duties.
- Responsible to package meals, deliver meals to homebound elderly, and perform other duties at the senior centers.
- Minimum Qualifications: Minimum one year of experience in community and food service. Must be bilingual in English & Cantonese.
- Transports program participants.
- Minimum Qualifications: At least two years of work experience required. Experience working with the elderly preferred. Must have and maintain a valid CA Commercial Class B driver license. Minimum of two years of driving experience with satisfactory driving record.
- Responsible for the overall planning, development and coordination of activities and fundraising events, and the supervision of Program Assistants and volunteers.
- Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Recreation, Liberal Arts or a Human Services field; or college education with a minimum of three years of work experience in implementing social, recreational or educational activities with older adults. Must be bilingual and bi-literate in English and Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin).
Nutrition San Mateo
- Responsible for assisting in planning and implementing program activities and performing other duties at the center; and assisting congregate meal program and/or delivering meals for the home-delivered meals program.
- Minimum Requirements: Bachelor’s degree related to human services, or high school graduate with three years related work experience. Must have experience in providing health, social, and/or aging services in the community, especially with diverse communities and knowledge of community resources. Must be bilingual and biliterate in English and Chinese (Cantonese or Mandarin).
To apply: Please click on the job title to complete an online application.
For more information: Contact Human Resources Department at HR@selfhelpelderly.org.
GET IN TOUCH