Who we are?
Self-Help for the Elderly promotes independence, well-being and dignity for older adults through culturally aligned
services and programs in the San Francisco Bay Area. We envision a world where all elders have the respect, care,
and support to lead dignified and vibrant lives.
Founded in 1966, each year we serve over 40,000 older adults in San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Alameda
Counties by providing a compressive range of multicultural and multilingual services to empower seniors to help
themselves and others. Over 90% of our clients come from low-income minority community.
What we do?
We currently have nine service departments specializing in Adult Day Services, Affordable Housing for Independent
Seniors, Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly, Home Health Care Program, Hospice Care Program, Employment
Training & Economic Development, Nutrition and Senior Centers, Social Services, and Health Insurance Counseling &
Advocacy Program (HICAP).
At Self-Help, we are firmly committed to the senior’s security, freedom, and peace of mind. If you enjoy working with
seniors… if you believe in giving back to the community… if helping others makes you happy… come join us in making a
Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer
Self-Help for the Elderly is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmation Action Employer and we welcome diversity in
the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status or any other
characteristics protected by law. We participate in E-Verify.
San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance
Qualified applicants with criminal history will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Americans with Disabilities Act
We may provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for
any part of the application or hiring process, please email us at email@example.com or call (415)
677-7600 for special assistance.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including a multiple range of medical and dental plans, commuter benefits,
flexible benefits plan, retirement plan, paid time off, paid holiday, and etc.
We are seeking the following positions:
Employment Training & Economic Development - San Francisco
- Self-Help for the Elderly is seeking a Housekeeper who cleans residential housing, apartment unit, and commercial
property such as offices and clinics thoroughly using appropriate cleaning agents, equipment and appliances.
- Essential Functions: Cleans residential housing, apartment unit, and commercial property such as offices and
clinics thoroughly. Uses appropriate cleaning agents, equipment and appliances during the course of cleaning.
Performs house-cleaning duties in accordance with proper procedures and methods at a specified time period.
- Self-Help for the Elderly is seeking a Caregiver who performs non-medical Caregiver duties including
companionship, housekeeping and personal care assistance to maximize the comfort of Self-Help for the Elderly
- Essential Functions: Provides companionship services to clients including: conversation, assistance with walking,
preparing meals, running errands, accompanying to appointments and providing medication reminders and appointment
reminders. Provides light Housekeeping including dusting, vacuuming, making beds, changing linens, doing laundry
using appropriate cleaning agents and equipment. Provides personal care assistance including assistance with
bathing, grooming and toileting.
- Self-Help for the Elderly is seeking a Home Health Aide who monitors patient condition by observing physical and
mental condition, intake and output, and exercise. Supports patients by providing housekeeping and laundry services;
shopping for food and other household requirements; preparing and serving meals and snacks; running errands
- Essential Functions: Performs Home Health Aide duties in accordance with proper procedures and methods at
specified time periods. Provides home care services to individuals at home or groups at board and care homes or
other institutions. Provides non-medical personal care services, such as bathing, dressing and grooming, to
individuals at home.
- Self-Help for the Elderly is seeking a Handyman Technician who is responsible for performing a variety of repair, maintenance, and installation tasks to meet our customers’ needs and ensure customer satisfaction.
- Essential Functions: Performs furniture assembly and repair tasks with precision and attention to detail, following established guidelines and safety protocols. Conducts painting and drywall repair projects, accurately assessing the scope of work and providing estimates to customers. Handles plumbing repairs and installations, troubleshoots issues, and ensures efficient functioning of fixtures and systems.
Employment Training & Economic Development - San Mateo
- Self-Help for the Elderly is seeking a Caregiver who performs non-medical Caregiver duties including companionship, housekeeping and personal care assistance to maximize the comfort of Self-Help for the Elderly clients.
- Essential Functions: Provides companionship services to clients including: conversation, assistance with walking, preparing meals, running errands, accompanying to appointments and providing medication reminders and appointment reminders. Provides light Housekeeping including dusting, vacuuming, making beds, changing linens, doing laundry using appropriate cleaning agents and equipment. Provides personal care assistance including assistance with bathing, grooming and toileting.
Home Care and Hospice
- Self-Help for the Elderly is seeking a Physical Therapist who is pesponsible for providing physical therapy
services and for adherence to all conditions outlined in the department Policy and Procedures.
- Essential Functions: Has good knowledge of Agency Policies and Procedures, State and Federal Regulations related
to Home Health/Hospice services, Clinical Procedures/Protocols, PT Job Description and assigned responsibilities,
and acts upon all listed above requirements. Assumes responsibility for care of all assigned patients as Physical
Therapist and coordinates patient care services with other disciplines of Healthcare team, including RN, OT, ST and
MSW, as well as patient’s PCP, DPCS and QA RN.
- Self-Help for the Elderly is seeking a Physical Therapist Assistant who provides physical therapy services
according to the Physician’s plan of care and under the supervision of a Physical Therapist to help patients relieve
pain, improve the body’s movement and function, maintain cardiopulmonary function, and limit disabilities resulting
from injury or disease.
- Essential Functions: Provides direct physical therapy services and interventions in accordance with physician
orders and patient’s plan of care, and under the supervision of a Licensed Physical Therapist. Treats patient to
relieve pain, develop or restore function, maintain maximum performance. Directs and aids patients in active and
passive therapeutic exercises, muscle reeducation, gait and functional training, transfer activities and prosthetic
- Self-Help for the Elderly is seeking a Occupational Therapist who provides occupational therapy services to
maximize the patient’s independence in activities of daily living by training them in motor, perceptual and
- Essential Functions: Has good knowledge of Agency Policies and Procedures, State and Federal Regulations related
to Home Health/Hospice services, Clinical Procedures/Protocols, OT Job Description and assigned responsibilities,
and acts upon all listed above requirements. Assumes responsibility for care of all assigned patients as
Occupational Therapist and coordinates patient care services with other disciplines of Healthcare team, including
RN, PT, ST and MSW, as well as patient’s PCP, DPCS and QA RN.
- Self-Help for the Elderly is seeking a Quality Assurance Nurse who is responsible for evaluating clinical practices within Self-Help Home Care & Hospice and implementing changes for improvement. The Quality Assurance Nurse shall possess Home Health and Hospice Care patient assessment skills, analyzes data integrity and consistency of OASIS documentation and assessment processes, and provides case management, as needed.
Essential Functions: Prospectively reviews all OASIS assessments, Plan of Care, Progress Notes, and Physician Orders to ensure appropriateness, completeness, and compliance with Federal and State regulations and organization policy. Utilizes OASIS variation or alert reports when reviewing OASIS data. Works with the coding personnel to ensure appropriate ICD-10 coding and sequencing as it relates to the patient’s medical condition, including any co-morbidities, and works with clinical staff to clarify documentation and data integrity issues. Consults with appropriate clinical staff to clarify any data integrity issues and works with clinicians to make appropriate corrections per organization policy.
- Self-Help for the Elderly is seeking a Director of Patient Care Services who is responsible for the overall direction of home health and hospice clinical services. The DPCS establishes, implements and evaluates goals and objectives for the home health and hospice services, practices clinical staff management and development, and contributes to the planning, marketing community development, and compliance of the services.
Essential Functions: Coordinates and oversees all direct and indirect patient services provided by clinical personnel and ensures Agency policies and procedures are being followed. Provides guidance and counseling to the clinical supervisors and clinical personnel for continuous improvement of home health care services in all aspects. Keeps staff up to date with current clinical information and practices. Practices staff development including orientation, in-service education and continuing education. Hires, evaluates, and terminates clinical personnel. Maintains and evaluates the orientation program for new clinical personnel. Responsible for orientation of new organization personnel, either directly or by delegating to another staff member.
- Self-Help for the Elderly is seeking a Home Health Aide who provides personal care services, supervision and
domestic housekeeping services, and implements activities for residents in accordance with State regulations.
- Essential Functions: Performs personal care services such as dressing, grooming, bathing and transferring
residents. Transferring may involve lifting residents from bed to chair or chair to toilet/commode. Performs laundry
services – washes, dries and folds residents’ clothes, sheets, towels and other items as required. Assists residents
- Self-Help for the Elderly is seeking a Cook is responsible for preparing meals, snacks; and the cleaning of
cooking utensils and equipment.
- Essential Functions: Prepares three meals and light snacks each day according to the posted menu. Performs
thorough routine cleaning of dishes, utensils, cookware, stove, oven, refrigerators, sink and countertops after each
meal. Maintains and keeps inventory of perishable and non-perishable food supplies adequately; prepares grocery
Nutrition and Senior Centers - Sunnyvale
- Self-Help for the Elderly is seeking a Program Specialist who is responsible for the development, implementation, and coordination of the CHAMPSS (Choosing Healthy & Appetizing Meal Plan Solutions for Seniors) Program and assists in overseeing center operations in the south bay.
Essential Functions: Promotes the pilot senior dining program, CHAMPSS, in the south bay; conducts outreach to potential participants by coordinating and conducting community meetings to introduce the program. Assists Center Coordinator in overseeing center operations and acts as Center Coordinator in their absence and as assigned. Coordinates and conducts enrollment meetings; presents the program and assists participants with completing required forms; and provides follow-up as needed. Collects, processes, and tracks suggested meal donations from participants.
- Self-Help for the Elderly is seeking a Information & Assistance Specialist who will assist in the navigation of the home and community-based long-term care system; provides assessment, information, referral and assistance to older adults, adults with disabilities, and caregivers; performs follow-up to ensure delivery of services; collects, updates and shares information on community resources.
- Essential Functions: Conducts basic needs assessments of older adults and disabled adults to provide them with information and/or referrals to agencies which offer services that match their needs. Assists consumers in accessing needed services and advocates on their behalf when the requests do not require short-term casework level of assistance (e.g. contacting agencies on behalf of clients, filling out forms, writing letters, or making phone calls to set up or confirm appointments). Provides follow-up with consumers and/or agencies to ensure that needed services were received by consumers.
- Self-Help for the Elderly is seeking a Senior Escort Driver who provides transportation to senior escort clients.
- Essential Functions: Transports clients to and from destinations. Teams with the Senior Escort Service Workers to assist clients in getting on and off the vehicle. Arrives at destinations on schedule. Researches and plans for traffic, construction and weather delays. Uses navigation applications to determine the best route.
- Self-Help for the Elderly is seeking a Tech Support person who is responsible for teaching and resolving SF Connected participants’ tech-related inquiries and digital literacy tech support.
- Essential Functions: Responsible for teaching and guiding clients to step-by-step instructions for their personal and/ or on-demand tech issues in one-on-one settings. Participates in developing a teaching curriculum and maintaining an up-to-date teaching library to reflect technology updates and applications' new features and functions. Conducts on and off-site outreach to offer programs and services to various neighborhoods and communities in the city. Maintains training and workshop schedules and attendance records.
To apply: Please click on the job title to complete an online application.
For more information: Contact Human Resources Department at HR@selfhelpelderly.org.