Who we are?
Founded in 1966, Self-Help for the Elderly is a community-based organization committed to promoting the independence, dignity, and self-worth of seniors. Each year the agency serves over 40,000 seniors in San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Alameda Counties by providing a comprehensive range of multicultural and multilingual services to empower seniors to help themselves and others. Our vision is to be the premier provider of senior services in the San Francisco Bay Area with a commitment to excellence and achievement. Over 90% of our clients come from low-income minority community.
What we do?
We currently have nine service departments specializing in Adult Day Services, Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program, licensed HomeCare & Hospice, Nutrition & Senior Centers, Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly, Senior Employment & Training, Senior Housing, Social Services and Technology Information & Empowerment.
At Self-Help, we are firmly committed to the senior’s security, freedom, and peace of mind. If you enjoy working with seniors… if you believe in giving back to the community… if helping others makes you happy… come join us in making a difference together!
Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer
Self-Help for the Elderly is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmation Action Employer and we welcome diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law. We participate in E-Verify.
San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance
Qualified applicants with criminal history will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Americans with Disabilities Act
We may provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (415) 677-7600 for special assistance.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including a multiple range of medical and dental plans, commuter benefits, flexible benefits plan, retirement plan, paid time off, paid holiday, and etc.
We are seeking the following positions:
Adult Day Services - ADS
- Responsible for handling receptionist and administrative duties for Adult Day Services, such as answering phones, processing mail, tracking attendance, etc.
- Minimum Qualifications: High school graduate with at least one year of receptionist and/or office administrative experience. Demonstrated business telephone skills, pleasant telephone manner and excellent communication skills. Great attention to details, good organizational skills and ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks. Proficient in MS Office, Chinese Word Processing, and the internet. Bilingual in English and Cantonese. Must pass a strength test: able to lift, push and pull boxes up to 50lbs. Must have TB clearance within 12 months prior employment and maintain clearance annually thereafter.
- Under the direction and supervision of the Nursing Supervisor, provide direct nursing care and to maximize the comfort and health of Adult Day Services participants.
- Minimum qualifications: Current valid California LVN License. Previous nursing experience working with the elderly or the chronically ill, or experience in home health, public health, or acute care preferred. Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Cantonese.
- Responsible for providing counseling, consultation and training to staff and participants.
- Minimum qualifications: Must be a licensed psychiatrist, clinical psychologist, psychiatric licensed clinical social worker (LCSW), or psychiatric nurse (i.e., a registered nurse with a graduate degree in psychiatric nursing and one year of psychiatric nursing experience within the past five years, or a registered nurse with a baccalaureate degree in nursing and three years of psychiatric nursing experience in an acute psychiatric setting or a psychiatric health facility, one year of which should have been within the past five years).
Employment Training & Economic Development
- Responsible for ensuring the safety of all staff and clients at a designated location.
- Minimum Requirements: High school graduate with at least one year of relevant work experience who maintains a valid State of California Guard Card. Ability to handle stressful situations and emergencies while exercising good judgement and be able to stand for the majority of a shift. Bilingual in English and Chinese preferred.
- Responsible for providing employment counseling, case management, WIA eligibility determination, certification and assessment, training, placement, and retention services to Neighborhood Access Point (NAP) participants.
- Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in social work, counseling, education or a related field or high school graduate with at least two years of relevant work experience.
- Responsible for answering phones and scheduling client appointments, financial record-keeping, equipment inventory, data entry, and performs other program and clerical duties for San Mateo HICAP.
- Minimum Qualifications: High school graduate with one year of experience working in an office setting. Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills. Bilingual in English and Chinese/Spanish preferred.
HomeCare and Hospice
- Performs the nursing care plan as directed by the Registered Nurse to maximize the comfort and health of Home Care patients and families.
- Minimum Qualifications: Current California Licensed Vocational Nurse and at least one year professional nursing experience in home health, hospice, acute or sub-acute preferred. Bilingual in English and Cantonese preferred. Mandarin & Toishanese a plus.
- The speech–language pathologist, contracted or employed, is responsible for implementation of standards of care for speech language pathology services and for adherence to all conditions in the Service Agreement.
- Minimum Qualifications: Possesses a degree that includes an internship from an approved Master program in Speech- Language Pathology, or as required by applicable law and/or regulation. Meets personnel qualifications stated in §418.114(b)(4). A minimum of one year clinical experience in Speech–Language Pathology.
- Provides skilled nursing assessment, planning and care in order to maximize the comfort and health of Hospice patients and families.
- Must be currently licensed by the CA Board of Registered Nurses. Preferred minimum one year professional nursing experience in home health, hospice, acute or sub-acute care. Experience with oncology or hospice preferred.
- Provide spiritual care services to patients and their families, and hospice caregivers and staff, either directly or through coordination of care with other spiritual counselors. Develop and implement the bereavement plan of care.
- Minimum qualifications: Graduate of accredited seminary or school of theology (BD, MDiv or equivalent theological degree), or degree in pastoral care. Comfortable in an interfaith setting and able to accept different lifestyles, beliefs and values. Bilingual in English and Chinese.
- The Performance Improvement Coordinator is a professional, registered nurse responsible for all the quality activities of the organization. The Performance Improvement Coordinator has accountabilities for the monitoring, implementation and evaluation of process and programs to meet regulatory, accreditation and standards of practice.
- Minimum qualifications: Must be currently licensed by the CA board of Registered Nurses. Bachelor’s degree in Nursing from an accredited program by the National League for Nursing is preferred with three (3) to five (5) years of clinical nursing experience (emphasis in home care/hospice nursing is preferred).
- Provides personal care services, supervision and domestic housekeeping services, and implements activities for residents in accordance with State RCFE regulations.
- Minimum Qualifications: High school graduate and adult care experience preferred. Ability to work with people of all socioeconomic backgrounds particularly the elderly population. Must pass health screening for TB clearance, and have or obtain criminal record clearance and First Aid Certificate.
Nutrition San Francisco
- Responsible for the development, implementation and coordination of the Community Service Program Pilot.
- Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in a Human Services field, or college education with a minimum of two years of work experience in implementing programs in a non-profit setting. Must possess strong self-motivation and ability to work with elderly people of all socioeconomic backgrounds; experience in working with seniors strongly preferred. Must pass a strength test for physical fitness for the job (able to lift and/or carry 35 lbs) and be able to travel via public transportation or personal vehicle for performance of job duties.
- Responsible to package meals, deliver meals to homebound elderly, and perform other duties at the senior centers.
- Minimum Qualifications: Minimum one year of experience in community and food service. Must be bilingual in English & Cantonese.
- Transports program participants.
- Minimum Qualifications: At least two years of work experience required. Experience working with the elderly preferred. Must have and maintain a valid CA Commercial Class B driver license. Minimum of two years of driving experience with satisfactory driving record.
- Responsible for the overall planning, development and coordination of activities and fundraising events, and the supervision of Program Assistants and volunteers.
- Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Recreation, Liberal Arts or a Human Services field; or college education with a minimum of three years of work experience in implementing social, recreational or educational activities with older adults. Must be bilingual and bi-literate in English and Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin).
- Manages the daily operation of activities and services at a senior center.
- Minimum Qualifications: College degree preferred or high school graduated with at least three years work experience in community services.
To apply: Please click on the job title to complete an online application.
For more information: Contact Human Resources Department at HR@selfhelpelderly.org.
GET IN TOUCH