Self-Help for the Elderly’s hospice program provides end of life care to patients in the comfort of their own home, in harmony with their family. Hospice enriches our patients’ lives by enabling them to live their last days to the fullest and pass peacefully with comfort and dignity.
Caring for a loved one at the end of their life is difficult and can affect many family members and friends. Even when you know the time is approaching, it can be hard to accept. When you are confused and don’t know what to do next, it could be time to seek help. Through hospice care, Self-Help for the Elderly’s mission is to provide quality hospice services, information and education to family and friends, optimize the patients quality of life, and to advocate for health care services.
Hospice care focuses on caring for terminally ill patients in the comfort of their own homes. When current family caregivers need assistance to care for their dying loved one, we can help. We make sure that the patient is comfortable and cared for while living their final days. After assessing the patient, we will develop a care plan for the patient and endeavor to meet their needs and requests.
Our experienced team will coordinate care with the patient’s physician and design a customized care plan to meet the physical, social, emotional and spiritual needs of our patients and their family.
Our Patient Care Services:
- Specializing in physical assessments and pain management.
Medical Social Services
- Providing patients and their families with support, counseling and resources to meet other needs.
Personal Care Assistance
- Providing assistance in activities of daily living and personal care.
- Providing spiritual support and assistance in memorial service planning.
- Providing friendly visitor services.
We care for patients who:
- Are faced with advanced stages of any life-threatening illness and who, according to their physicians, have a life expectancy of six months or less
- Want the comfort measures that hospice can provide rather than aggressive treatment
- Reside in San Francisco or Daly City
Cost of Services:
Medicare, Medicare HMOs, Medi-Cal and many private insurers cover all or most of the cost of Hospice care. We will contact your insurance company to review your benefits and bill on your behalf. Self-Help homecare and hospice abides by the rules and regulations of HIPAA.
Self-Help for the Elderly is the only non-profit agency that specializes in meeting the unique needs of the culturally diverse population in San Francisco. Our dedicated team members are bilingual serving Cantonese, Mandarin and English speaking clients to ensure a higher level of comfort. The patient, health care professionals, family members or friends may contact us. The intake nurse will ask information about the patient's condition and contact the patient's physician and Hospice Medical Director to determine if hospice care is appropriate.
GET IN TOUCH